Making your own ice cream not only tastes better, but it can be a fun summer activity too. Nothing quite beats the nostalgia of homemade ice cream in the summer. Then add one of the most classic treats and make Nutty Buddy ice cream? For sure going to be a crowd-pleaser! Nutty Buddy bars have been around forever, their peanut butter and chocolate combo with a wafer makes them a popular treat. Just like a bomb pop, doesn't it bring back all the childhood memories?
Make this homemade ice cream recipe by combining a basic vanilla recipe with the flavors and crunchiness of your favorite Nutty Buddy bars. If you're looking to get closer to that Butty Buddy ice cream cone, top with crushed peanuts and serve in waffle or sugar cone.
Looking for more treats?
- Oreo Cookie Ice Cream (Easy Cookies and Cream Ice Cream!)
- Rice Cake with Peanut Butter and Chocolate (A Giant PB Cup!)
- Orange Creamsicles Recipe!
- Popcorn, M&M's and Sprinkles (White Chocolate Popcorn)
Making Your Ice Cream
- This recipe does use an ice cream maker.
- Before you start pulling everything together, take the bowl for the ice cream maker and pop it in the freezer so you don't forget. It has to be frozen for at least 12 hours before you add your ice cream mixture into it, otherwise it won't freeze the ice cream. I use mine to store popsicles so it's always in the freezer these days.
- Combine all of your ingredients into a bowl and combine. I combine the milk and sugar first and whisk it until it's dissolved. You can use a stand or hand mixer or just stir.
- Add about half of your nutty buddy bars to a food processor or break apart manually. I save some back for topping/mixing in as the machine is churning.
- Allow your mixture to chill in the refrigerator overnight, or at least for 4-6 hours.
- Start your ice cream machine and add the mixture to it while it spins for 30 minutes.
Tips and Recipe Ideas
- Add crushed peanuts if you want it to taste more like the Nutty Buddy ice cream cone in a dish, since they no longer make that specific treat. Or serve in a waffle cone.
- Add vanilla wafers for an extra crunchy component.
- Top with chocolate sauce or caramel sauce for even more of an indulgent flavor.
Nutty Buddy Ice Cream
- 1 ice cream machine
- 4 packs nutty buddy bars or 8 individual bars
- 1 cup milk whole is best, but 1 or 2% also works well.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream equals 2 cups
- 3 tablespoon vanilla extract can do a bit more or less to taste
- Combine your milk and sugar into a bowl and mix together until sugar is dissolved.
- Add your heavy whipping cream and vanilla.
- Chop up your nutty buddy bars and begin to add to your mixture. I recommend using a food processor, blender or finely chopping with a knife, leaving a few bigger chunks out that will be larger pieces in the ice cream.
- Add nutty buddy bars to your bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, it's best to chill overnight.
- Turn on ice cream machine (pulling freezer container from the freezer where it's been chilling for at least 12 hours) and add ice cream base to the machine. Allow to churn for 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 2 weeks. Enjoy!
- Top with crushed peanuts if desired. Serve in a waffle cone, sugar cone or in a bowl.