This is going to become a regular treat around here. Basically, it's a homemade version of a reese's peanut butter cup, but, on a rice cake. Which makes it more of a filling snack with a little touch of sweetness. It has just the right amount of crunch and crisp to make it a treat, and it can be made in 10-15 minutes and ready to go.
The most important part of this quick recipe, in my opinion, is remembering to add a pinch sea salt to the chocolate at the end. It just adds a bit of flavor you don't get otherwise!
How to Make Your Rice Cups
To make your rice cups, you start with a plain rice cake. You can try salted or unsalted, I used unsalted for these since I knew I'd be adding some sea salt to the chocolate. Next, spread a layer of peanut butter over the rice cake. If you have any allergies you can absolutely use an alternative butter! Sunflower, almond or even chickpea butter would be good options.
The fun thing about making peanut butter rice cakes is that it's so customizable! You could try all kinds of variations and ingredients. If you don't want to use milk chocolate you can try dark chocolate. This is a fun treat for after school, bonus if you let the kiddos help!
Variation Ideas to Try
- S'mores with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows
- using freeze dried strawberries, peanut butter and chocolate
- almond butter and dark chocolate
- banana and chocolate chips
- Adding caramel sauce to the chocolate mixture
If you make more than one at a time you can store in the refrigerator in a covered container. Melted chocolate will stay good for several months. You'll want to eat the rice cakes within a few days though.
Add a bit of coconut or vegetable oil to the chocolate to help give it a smoother consistency.
You do not have to freeze the rice cakes after making them, however it does help to have the chocolate in a solid state to make it less messy of a treat.
- If your chocolate isn't melting completely mix in a teaspoon or so of coconut oil. Melt in 20-30 second increments.
- I used coarse sea salt to taste, it's cheaper than the flakes but has more of a taste than regular salt.
- Smooth peanut butter is a bit easier to spread, but if you prefer chunky or even a butter variation you can still make these.
Rice Cake with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cup
- 1 freezer
- 1 single rice cake you can make multiple at a time.
- ¼ cup chocolate chips I used semi-sweet, you can substitute with your favorite variety.
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or butter of choice. Add or subtract to amount per personal preference.
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- Spread your peanut butter onto your rice cake.
- Melt your chocolate chips. I used ¼ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Take a spoonful of melted chocolate and spread it over your rice cake.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the rice cake.
- Place rice cake(s) in freezer and freeze for 10-15 minutes, until chocolate has solidified.
- Store in refrigerator if not eating immediately.
So easy and delicious!! And I don't feel guilty enjoying a rice cake haha
Lynne Hoehamer says
Can’t wait to try these! What a great snack idea.
YUM! Definitely adding this to my after school snack list!
Yum!! Such an easy snack & absolutely delicious!!!
All of my favorite things combined! Can’t wait to try this.
I am going to make these! I am going to try cashew butter and melted Hu Chocolate gems! 😀
Ok I’m sold on this healthy (ish 😉) treat!! A go to from now on!
Love these. I added thinly sliced bananas between the peanut butter and chocolate. Soooooo good!
That is such a great idea!! Going to have to try it!
i made two peanut butter cakes and then two caramel chocolate cakes. the peanut butter is definitely the less messy option, but both are equally delicious! i also set them on wax paper for a quick cleanup.
Using wax paper is a great idea!! And I'm definitely going to try the chocolate cakes with caramel!
priya pchaudhary says
Mmmm....So Delicious, Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. I'm in love with Grainic's organic rice cakes topped with peanut butter and chocolate! They're the perfect guilt-free indulgence and satisfy my sweet cravings every time. Highly recommend!"