Swimming, playing outside, fireflies, s'mores... it feels like summer! If you're having a get together for Memorial Day, the 4th of July or even just because it's gorgeous outside you'll want to save this recipe. It's easy, quick and a fun twist on a classic summer favorite.
Making rice cake s'mores is an easy way to bring a summer treat inside and as a bonus, you can make it in you favorite summer small appliance, the air fryer! But, it's worth noting you don't have to have an air fryer, I'll share some alternatives below. If you're in more of a classic mood you can make s'mores with graham crackers in the air fryer too! Or try this s'mores dip for a fun party appetizer.
How to Assemble
The rice cake is the perfect base for a s'mores dessert, it's crunchy but doesn't have an overwhelming flavor that would steal from the chocolate and marshmallows. It's also great paired with peanut butter and chocolate or strawberries, pb and chocolate. Rice cakes are pretty light too, so it's a bit more of a balanced treat.
To make your rice cake s'more, all you have to do is sprinkle the top of the rice cake with a few chocolate chips, then place 6-7 mini marshmallows around the top of it. Place in the air fryer and you're ready to go! I have a basket air fryer, so I would recommend using foil to help hold the rice cake in place. If you're using a countertop one you can just place it on the rack.
Tips for Air Frying
- The first time I tried this I was greeted with the sound of chocolate chips and rice cake flying all over the inside of my air fryer. Learn from my mistake and if you're using a basket air fryer be sure to cover the rice cake somehow. I folded edges on tin foil and placed it over the rice cake. It pushes the s'more into the corner of the air fryer and holds it in place. This way the marshmallows got nice and crispy.
- Keep an eye on your time. I have the Ninja XL air fryer and set to 400 degrees, but put the treat in while preheating. I left the rice cakes in for about 3-4 minutes, checking on them periodically. If you like burnt marshmallows you can give it a few more minutes, or if you want it a little less crisp take it out of the air fryer earlier.
No. You can make them in the microwave or the oven. If you make them in the microwave you just won't have the crispy/brown part of the marshmallow as if it's been roasted. If using the oven turn your settings to broil.
This depends on how toasty you want your rice cake, but I put mine in for 3-4 minutes and did not have it preheat.
Yes. The foil actually prevents the rice cake and toppings from blowing around.
After you remove your rice cake s'more from the air fryer, flatten your marshmallows a bit with a fork. This will spread out the flavors. I topped mine with crushed up graham crackers to get the full experience! You can crush them in a food processor or by hand.
Other summer treats to try
- How to Make Pastel Cake Pops
- Iced Chocolate Almondmilk Shaken Espresso
- Rice Cake with Peanut Butter and Chocolate (A PB Cup!)
Rice Cake S'mores in the air fryer
- 1 air fryer optional, could be made in the oven (broiled) or the microwave
- 1 sheet aluminum foil sized to air fryer basket. Necessary only if using basket air fryer.
- 1 single rice cake can be unsalted, salted, whole wheat, etc.
- 6 single mini marshmallows to taste, can use less or more.
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste, can use less or more. Could use preferred flavor of chocolate as well.
- Place about a tablespoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips onto a single rice cake.
- Add mini marshmallows around the chocolate chips, distributing evenly.
- Place rice cake into the basket of the air fryer.
- Cover rice cake with a sheet of aluminum foil. Fold the edges of the foil to make a covering/tent for the rice cake. This will prevent the toppings and rice cake from blowing all over the air fryer basket.
- Turn on air fryer to 400°F.
- Let the air fryer run for 3-4 minutes, checking on the rice cake periodically until it has the desired level of toasted marshmallows and the chocolate has started to melt.
- Remove from heat. Flatten marshmallows with a fork, allow to cool and enjoy.
Going to be a regular summer night treat after dinner! No bonfire required! 🙂
Such a great afternoon treat for the fam!
Lynne hoehamer says
Making this tonight! What a great summer treat.