Combining the sweet and salty flavors of popcorn with chocolate and m&m's is one of the greatest discoveries ever. Well, ok at least one of the greatest snack inventions.
For the 4th of July, or any get together really, it can be really helpful to have a treat that's quick, easy and simple. This white chocolate popcorn, M&M's and sprinkles combo can be thrown together in minutes and customized for any get together. Bonus- no oven required.
I also love how quickly this snack can be made before a party or event. You can use any chocolate you have on hand. I used my white chocolate melting wafers because I always have a bag in the pantry for cake pops or hot cocoa bombs. Holiday get togethers in the summer can be last minute and it's always fun to add a festive treat. When in doubt? Add sprinkles! Whip up some Oreo Ice Cream to have available and you will be all set for any summer night.
- After you pop your popcorn, remove all the kernels. I don't do this if I'm just enjoying popcorn for a movie night, but whenever you add candy or sprinkles to popcorn the last thing you want to bite down on is a kernel.
- When melting your chocolate take it out of the microwave (unless you're melting on the stove with a double broiler) and stir every 20-30 seconds. This way it won't get overheated/start to harden again. If the chocolate is too thick you can add a bit of oil. I added a little less than a teaspoon of coconut oil to my white chocolate wafers.
- Use whatever you have on hand! If you don't have a specific bag of m&m's for the 4th pick out the colors you want from a regular bag. Or just dump them all in and enjoy.
- You could use any type of chocolate for this. Dark chocolate and sea salt or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips would work great.
- I want to try it with peanut butter next, or even with reeses pieces! I've been adding the PB flavor into everything since I started making my own peanut butter and these PB Cup Rice Cakes.
- Mixing caramel and chocolate could be a fun topping combination with the m&m's.
You can use microwave popcorn, stove top, or air popped for this recipe. However you normally make popcorn is perfect!
I liked using white chocolate for the sweet and salty mix, but you could use any type of melting chocolate or chocolate chips for your snack.
I let the popcorn mixture cool for about 30 minutes to allow the chocolate time to harden almost completely before serving. Humidity and other variables will play a factor in how long it takes.
Looking for more holiday inspiration? Follow along on Pinterest and Instagram!
Easy Red White and Blue Popcorn Mix
- 1 microwave, stovetop popper or air pop popcorn popper you can make popcorn however your prefer.
- 1 microwave safe bowl
- 1 baking sheet I like to use a jelly roll sheet that has edges that way you can dump the sprinkles easily.
- 1 sheet of parchment paper
- 1 bag popcorn I use the Orville Natural Simply Salted
- ½ cup white chocolate melting wafers
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil extra virgin, use less or more depending on chocolate melting
- 1 cup red, white and blue M&M's
- 1 dash sprinkles
- Pop your popcorn in either the microwave, with your stovetop popper or with your air popper.
- Allow popcorn to cool while you heat your chocolate.
- Melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or by using a double broiler. If using the microwave pull out every 20-30 seconds to stir. If the chocolate is not thin enough that it runs off a spoon easily add a bit of coconut oil to the chocolate to help thin it.
- Spread your popcorn out on a piece of parchment paper on a jelly roll baking sheet.
- Drizzle your chocolate over the popcorn, spreading as evenly as possible. Fold the parchment paper over in half so that it helps spread the chocolate around.
- Add your m&m's and sprinkles liberally. It helps to add them when the chocolate is still melted because they'll stick together.
- After the popcorn has cooled transfer into a bowl for serving. If all the sprinkles and m&m's sink to the bottom add a few more to the top.
Taste tested with my nieces and approved! 🙂
So delicious!! The perfect simple and sweet treat for the 4th of July!