Apparently I really like pancakes. Between pancakes and waffles we're developing quite the archive of blog post recipes, lol! But then again...what's not to like about a cute and easy breakfast option? Especially one that the kiddos love too?
Today, I'm so excited to share with you this idea! I love funfetti cake mix, I've used it to make cookies, cupcakes and cakes, and now I have another use for it, pancakes! Did you know you can use cake mix to make pancakes? The trick is to sub half of your mix with the funfetti (or other variety) of cake mix. To make things festive we're making Valentine's Day pancakes. I used the Valentine's Funfetti Cake Mix and followed my tips for pancake shapes. Breakfast was ready in 10 minutes. Win win!
- The easiest way to do this is to work with a cake mix and a pancake mix. Following the instructions for the pancake mix, split the called for mix in half and substitute your funfetti cake mix.
- When baking your pancakes on your griddle, watch the temp on your griddle. I like to keep mine around 250-300 and watch for the edges to bubble before I flip. The cake batter does slow down the cook time in my opinion.
- If using a cookie cutter, don't overfill it. Two spoonfuls, or just enough to fill the entire shape is plenty.
- Again if using cookie cuters as molds, make sure to grease the cookie cutter.
Yes! Combine your cake mix with pancake mix to make fluffy and delicious pancakes. You could also substitute it with a homemade mix. Cake mix is usually just a bit sweeter.
Yes you can! I use metal cookie cutters with foil wrapping as a heat barrier to make all kinds of pancake shapes. One tip is to make sure you spray the cutter.
More Valentine's Ideas
- Valentine’s Day Coffee Drinks
- Make Your Own Valentine Cookie Decorating Kit
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- Pink Waffles for Galentines or Valentines Day
- Valentine’s Day Pajamas for the Family
- Valentine's Charcuterie Board
Don't mind me when you see me in the grocery store buying one of every cake mix flavor... you'll know what I'm up to! 🙂 If you've tried this with any other flavors I'd love to hear about it in the comments! And be sure to follow us on Pinterest for more!
Valentine's Day Pancakes (with a cake mix!)
- 1 griddle
- 1 heart shaped cookie cutter 0r other desired shapes, optional
- 1 bowl
- 1 cup pancake mix I use Annie's organic box mix
- 1 cup funfetti cake mix the Valentine's mix includes sprinkles
- 1 cup milk can substitute water
- Preheat and grease your griddle, I usually set mine to 350.
- If using a cookie cutter, add foil to the edges and grease the cookie cutter.
- Mix your dry ingredients, combining your pancake mix with your cake mix.
- Add your milk and egg and combine. Don't overmix.
- Add about 2 spoonfuls of the mix to your griddle.
- Watch the cooking, usually 2-3 minutes is sufficient. When the pancake is ready to be flipped the edges will be bubbling.
- If using a cookie cutter, give it an extra minute and tap the cutter so that the mix releases. Flip pancake until baked evenly.