Happy December Everyone! I cannot believe we are already in the Christmas season. Everything about these days makes me want to snuggle up on the couch with a cozy warm drink. Today I'm going to share my easy three ingredient Hot Chocolate Stirrers! These are so quick to whip up for Christmas parties or just to enjoy at home with kiddos. Hot Cocoa sticks are a fun activity to do with the whole family and can be decorated with fun toppings. See my easy recipe below!
Have some Hot Cocoa Lovers in your House? You've come to the right place!
We've got hot cocoa a million different ways! Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this yummy drink:
Hot Chocolate Stirrers Ingredients
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
- Toppings- Candy Canes, Sprinkles, Marshmallows etc (optional!)
- Popsicle sticks
- Piping bag (optional)
- Silicone mold
How to make the hot cocoa sticks
Heat the heavy whipping cream on the stove top, until boiling. Make sure to stir so that it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. Meanwhile, pour the chocolate chips into a bowl. Once the whipping cream is boiling, take it off the stove top and pour it directly onto the chocolate chips. Let the mixture stand for approximately 4-5 minutes. The hot whipping cream should melt the chocolate chips. Add the cinnamon and stir together. The texture should be nice, smooth, and creamy. Tip: If the chocolate chips do not fully melt, pop the bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds.
Next, pour the melted chocolate mixture into a piping bag. This step isn't necessary, but it makes it easier to fill the molds. Tip: Put the piping bag into a tall empty cup, and fold the open end of the bag over the cup rim. Doing this makes it so much easier to fill up the bag.
Pipe (or spoon if not using a piping bag) the mixture into the silicone mold. I used this mold for extra large ice cubes, so I only filled mine halfway. I would suggest filling it less or using a smaller mold if wanting to make smaller cups of hot chocolate. Add any desired toppings at this stage. I added crushed up candy canes, marshmallows and fun Christmas themed sprinkles to mine! The hot chocolate stirrers are also yummy plain.
Stick the popsicle sticks into the center of each square mold, they should be standing straight up. Place the mold in the fridge until the chocolate is fully set, about 2-3 hours. Once set, remove the hot chocolate stirrers from the mold. If they are hard to remove, tug the sides of the mold away from each stirrer to loosen the chocolate.
Making the hot cocoa
Heat up your favorite choice of milk or hot water. I suggest using milk as it makes it so much creamier! Dunk the hot cocoa stick into the milk/water and stir until fully dissolved. Enjoy!
Not necessarily- I prefer the flexibility of a silicone mold so if the hardened chocolate is sticking to the sides, I can pull the mold away easily. But this could work in a regular plastic ice cube mold.
I used an extra large ice cube mold filled halfway for this recipe and each hot cocoa stick made a decadent, big mug. So I would suggest using a smaller mold and filling them to the top if you're looking to make smaller cups of hot chocolate. If using a large mold and you'd like it less chocolatey, fill it less than halfway.
Now it's Christmas movie time!
I hope you enjoyed this easy recipe for hot chocolate stirrers. Please let me know if you make these in the comments, and what toppings you chose to use! Happy Holidays everyone!
Hot Chocolate Stirrers
- sauce pan
- piping bag optional
- 5 popsicle sticks or more, if using a smaller mold
- Silicone Ice cube mold or similar mold
- 1 cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Candy canes crushed, optional
- Mini marshmallows optional
- Sprinkles optional
- Heat the heavy whipping cream on stove top, stirring so that it doesn't burn.
- Meanwhile, pour the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl.
- Once the whipping cream is boiling, remove from the heat and pour directly over the chocolate chips
- Let mixture stand 4-5 minutes.
- Add ground cinnamon to the bowl.
- Stir the chocolate mixture until smooth and creamy. Tip: if the chocolate chips do not fully melt by the heat of the whipping cream, microwave the bowl for 30 seconds.
- Add mixture to the piping bag and pipe the chocolate into the mold, approximately halfway. If not using a piping bag, spoon mixture into the mold.
- Sprinkle any desired toppings on top of the chocolate. I used crushed candy canes, mini marshmallows and Christmas themed sprinkles.
- Place the popsicle sticks into the center of each chocolate square. They should stand straight up.
- Put the mold in the refrigerator and allow to set up, approximately 3 hours.
- Once the chocolate has set up, remove each stick from the mold.
- Heat up milk of choice or water, and stir in the chocolate until completely dissolved. Enjoy!